Juicing 101 ~ A Basic Guide to Rebooting Your System

by on March 28, 2012

Ready for Juicing!

Well, in my previous post, I gushed on about how magical my juicing experience has been, so now I’d better made good on my promise to give you the ins and outs of exactly what and how I did it.

First, I cannot recommend highly enough that you watch “Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead“.

It’ll explain a whole lot and give you oodles of inspiration.

Next, of course, you’ll need a juicer. A REAL ONE. One that separates the pulp from the juice and that can stand a fair amount of strenuous use. As with most things, you’ll get what you pay for, starting with the Breville 800JEXL Juice Fountain Elite at the top of the range.

I must say, I’ve been very happy with my Waring JEX328 Health Juice Extractor and I’ve heard good reports of the one promoted by juicing guru Jack Lalanne.

As far as recipes go,  I’ve been really satisfied with the basic one from the movie.

Mean Green Juice Recipe

• 1 cucumber
  • 1 bunch kale
  • 4 sticks celery
  • 2 green apples
  • nub of fresh ginger (about the size of the top of your thumb)
  • half a lemon

Cut all these into pieces that will fit into the juicer mouth ~ no need to peel anything, including the lemon

Juice them all, and enjoy slowly.

Tips and Modifications

• Substitute a Smoothie
    Ok, so for the first week I ate, or rather drank nothing but the Mean Green juice.
    However, I’ve had major issues in the past with … umm … regularity (TMI, I know!), and I was rather concerned about going without fiber for any length of time.I started taking my Skinny Fiber (a product that helped me lose weight even before I began juicing) because besides the obviously high fiber content which stopped me feeling hungry, the herbs in it help with digestion and metabolism, AND it sorted out any regularity issues.

I also began having a Smoothie for breakfast – basically it’s the same green veggies and fruit, but putting it through the blender means that I got all the fiber and roughage I needed, without stressing my digestive system.

• 1 cup filtered water
    • a good handful of chopped kale
    • a good handful of spinach
    • berries (strawberries, blueberries, cranberries, whatever’s in season)
    • half a banana (you can use a whole one if you prefer a thicker shake)
    • squirt of honey if desired

Pile all those into the blender jug and blend until smooth.

• Add Protein
    Since I was planning to make juicing the main part of my diet until I’d shifted that stubborn 20lbs for good, I realized that I was going to need to have at least some protein.I alternated between two options -

• Substituting the water in my breakfast smoothie with a half cup of pure soy milk.
      Please note ~ this is NOT the sweetened soy milk that you see in supermarket refrigerators. I found  WestSoy organic unsweetened, unsalted soy milk amongst the health foods at my local store, and it gives you 9 grams of protein per cup.Not enough for your daily allowance, I know, but with the kale and other greens, it certainly boosts the quota.
    • A tablespoon or two of organic, creamy peanut butter. PLEASE, darling, don’t ruin your cleanse by using stuff like Skippy or Jif … really, have you read the ingredients in that??
      No, only organic will do, and make it creamy so as not to have to digest the chunks.
  • Organic or Not?

• This goddess and her family tend to eat organic foods for as much as the budget allows.
      There’s just such a difference in nutrition and taste that for us it pays to have less food of a higher quality (like a smaller piece of grass-fed, organic beef rather than pounds of the usual supermarket meat which is packed with hormones, preservatives and other horrible stuff.
    • I always, ALWAYS avoid the Dirty Dozen. If I can’t get them organic, I do without. It’s just not worth it.
  • Substitutions
    In an effort to get some variety in my juicing, both in nutrients and in taste, I began substituting some parts of the Mean Green basic recipe -

• Instead of 2 apples, use one apple and a pear, or handful of berries, or a cup or so of pineapple
    • Use half a cucumber and add two or three carrots
    • Always keep the kale and celery – those are the mega-cleansers.
  • Combinations
    You’ll find that you make up recipes according to your own preferences and what you have on hand. Pretty much any veggie or fruit can be run through the juicer or blender, obviously removing the peel as necessary. But in case you run out of inspiration, just google “juicing recipes” and you’ll find oodles of yummy combos to try.Just one thing, angel, please don’t be put off by the colourof your smoothie or juice. Some of them look utterly revolting but still taste divinely delicious.Of course, there’ll be times where your smoothie tastes vile, but you’ll only find out through trial and error *gigglesnorts*
  • Coming OFF the juice fast
    A lot of people will tell you that how you come off the fast is as important as the fast itself.
    TAKE IT SLOWLY!
    Start by having a piece of juicy fruit and move on to easy to digest foods like brown rice, avocados, salads, smooth soups etc.
    I found it best to avoid dairy, wheat and meat for as long as possible ~ mostly because those are the top three culprits in causing food intolerance and digestive issues.

So there you go, angels.

A goddessy guide to juicing ~ I hope you find it deliciously useful.

Please remember, I AM NOT A DOCTOR and none of this is medical advice. It’s just a report on what’s worked for me, and I expect you to be all adult and sensible and go get your doc’s permission before you embark on anything as drastic as a juice fast.

Most healthy adults can do 7 to 10 days without a problem, but if you’re in any doubt, go and get his/her opinion.

For myself, I’m on day 30 something and plan to stay on about 80% juicing until I’ve regained my girlish figure.

To be honest, I’m hooked on the energy rush, the clarity of my skin and the depth of my sleep.

There’s very little that Tastes as Good as Vibrantly Healthy Feels!

Remember, if you have any other questions, please jot them in the comment box below,
and if you’ve had any experience with juicing or cleanses, do share them with us, won’t you?

Bliss-ings, as always,

the goddess known as Jacqui

Related Posts with Thumbnails

{ 28 comments… read them below or add one }

Louise Edington March 28, 2012 at 8:59 pm

Just started juicing myself this week! I decided to juice most of the day and have salad for dinner so I can eat with my husband and kids. Feeling good so far and it was Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead that triggered my change.

Thanks for a little more inspiration.

Holly March 28, 2012 at 9:36 pm

I have been contemplating doing a cleanse.. and have found lots of information as you suggest.. You make it sound much simpler than I expected… So now I just have to decide when to start!! I am going to start without a juicer and see how my blender does.. So I will be peeling and coring a bit!! Were any days more challenger? You did mention that the drinks could look terrible but taste great, any major detoxing happen? Glad to hear it went well for you.. I am looking forward to my experience!!
Holly´s last blog post ..Hooked Into Another Weight Loss Miracle?

Mina @ Business Cards March 28, 2012 at 10:21 pm

Stupid of me to think you were talking about a computer system. Haha. But, I’ve heard a lot about cleansing and detoxification. It turned out well for some people (which, nice to hear worked out for you) but turned out badly for others. I guess it’s a matter of knowing how to do it right and consulting a professional healthcare before doing it. And there’s the issue of the taste. I agree though, rarely does healthy foods taste great. :D

Joseph Connor March 29, 2012 at 8:06 pm

Hello Jacqueline,
I read your article on rebooting your system thoroughly and I have to say it is well written and I enjoyed it. I also learned some things I did not already know, which is good because I own a blog on organic health foods and I know a vast amount on these topics. Thank you for the wonderful article, I will bookmark your site and continue to enjoy reading your blog.. :-)

Check my site out Organic Health Foods
Joseph Connor´s last blog post ..Eating Organic Health Foods Can Save Your Life

Joseph Connor March 29, 2012 at 8:12 pm

Hello Jacqueline,
I just wanted to say I read your post here on “Rebooting your system” and I have to say I definitely learned some new stuff. I don’t usually see great material on most blogs within the same topics as my own blog which is Organic Health Foods. I will bookmark your site and continue to read and enjoy your posts. Stop by my blog sometimes and enjoy like-minded ideas and topics. :-)
Joseph Connor´s last blog post ..Eating Organic Health Foods Can Save Your Life

Elena Anne March 30, 2012 at 11:37 am

I am gonna be honest when I say that the whole juicing diet kind of scares me. I have heard good things about the benefits, but the reactions from some of the people that I know that have done it are less miraculous. Is this a lifetime thing or just a stage to lose weight in?
Elena Anne´s last blog post ..The Power of Beets: 10 Reasons You Should Try Them

Tina March 30, 2012 at 1:42 pm

I have a friend who has been juicing, and it is amazing how much weight he has lost. I have been considering doing this myself, not only for the weight-loss benefits, but also for all the nutrients and anti-oxidants. What a great way to get your recommended daily allowance of veggies!
Tina´s last blog post ..Toe Straightener

Richard@Jazz Interviews March 31, 2012 at 11:49 am

This sounds like a great combination of healthy fruits and vegetables. Concoctions like this will cleanse your system and give you lots of energy. It will also provide your body with plenty of anti-oxidants.

John@How To Rap March 31, 2012 at 12:23 pm

This is the perfect cocktail to get your body and mind going. I’m going to try this combination myself. I’m glad that it did wonders for you.

Joseph Mills April 2, 2012 at 12:10 am

These are the very powerful cleansing agent!!! Its very effective!!! I used to do some variation of juicing the vegetables not just for cleaning by its part of my regular diet. I’m practicing vegetarian for 10 years, and I hardly get sick but feeling youthful always due to my lifestyle now. Thank you very much…this very good article.
Joseph Mills´s last blog post ..There are Household Charge Waivers and Exemptions

Danica Green@Shopping Bags April 5, 2012 at 1:22 am

Juices are one of my favorite smoothies and this ones is so refreshing to the eyes so I’ll be happy to try it at home. It seems like this is very delicious and may help the body’s immune system as well. Thanks for sharing!

Cristina@Bedding sets April 5, 2012 at 2:03 am

Hi Jacqui,

I’m glad I found your article. I’ve been on a diet for what seems like forever with very little results and it has always been frustrating so I just give up. This however is something that I’ve never tried before and I think it may be something that I just needed to get back on track. I am diabetic tough so I will definitely ask my doctor about it first.

Thanks!

- Cristina

custom items April 6, 2012 at 4:27 am

Hi Jaqueline, I actually love you blog, this is really amazing and you are true inspiration, if you don’t mind how old are you (I might be surprise in your answer)? We’ll I’m not really fun of juices and I tend to pick only the juice that I drink but when you mention that it will re boost my immune system that is something that it made me think twice. I also appreciate the fact that you are very particular in sharing the details of ingredients of this recipe and you even put some additional facts in choosing this items in the market, it really shows that this is something you’ve tried and real.

Vicki@Here is the info on how to lose weight fast April 8, 2012 at 4:20 pm

The Internet is new to me, being that I just retired.
I can see that there is a rich diversity in the blogs I am reading and I am trying to leave some comment whereever I visit.
Your blog is not like most of the blogs that I read on the Internet,
and I like the style of what you are presenting here.
I am approaching this from all sides, sonce I recently started my own website with its own blog.

My email and site are included with this post.
Is it ok that I included them? TheVeryBest2You 13 11

Travis @ Hearing Aids Colorado April 9, 2012 at 1:54 pm

Yum, yum! That recipe looks amazing! I’m trying to get into a healthier life style but it’s hard with a 16 month old and my work hours. Still, I think eating healthier will help!

Great post. :)
Travis @ Hearing Aids Colorado´s last blog post ..Is Sudden Deafness a Serious Concern?

Sarah@juice diet April 10, 2012 at 11:49 am

I think juices are very good to our body especially nowadays people are getting more toxins into their body by daily unhealthy foods, so once a while doing a juice fast is a good idea if we could get rid of those toxins. Thanks for sharing the recipes, they look great.
Sarah@juice diet´s last blog post ..Juice Diet – Why?

Miriam Buhr April 11, 2012 at 12:04 pm

Woohoo…I’m trying that breakfast smoothie recipe!!!

This post is great Jacqui! I believe a body detox along with a mental detox works wonders and targets major areas to get rid of the “not so great” stuff that doesn’t serve us. I’m all about promoting mental and physical health and this juicing 101 piece is fundamental.

You’re spot on about recommending the movie, Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead. I also recommend the movie, Hungry For Change. Both movies certainly promote good healthy living and would help you get a better idea about how you can reclaim your health.

~Miriam
Miriam Buhr´s last blog post ..Mental Toxins: Basic Steps To Detoxify Negative Thought Patterns

Lex@List of Gemstones April 16, 2012 at 10:01 pm

Awesome awesome post!! You’re totally right, people put the wrong things inside them and expect to be vibrant and happy.
Only one thing I can think of to add, I would change peanut butter for almond.
Personally I would hesitate to do a sudden juice diet like this but have incorporated high quality foods gradually, as my system is sensitive and will react to sudden changes in diet. But I’ve come a long way. The big ones for me were giving up sugar, alcohol, red meat and basically any packaged food with weird sounding ingredients. I also switched fried food for steamed, no more cooked oils made a big difference to my general health.

Randolph@squidoo.com/juicing-my-way-to-a-leaner-body May 29, 2012 at 3:13 pm

I usually do not leave a leave a response, but after looking at a few of the responses on this page Juicing 101 ~ A Basic Guide to Rebooting Your System.

I actually do have a couple of questions for you if you do not mind.
Could it be just me or does it give the impression
like some of these responses appear like they are coming from brain dead individuals?
:-P And, if you are posting on other sites, I would
like to keep up with anything new you have to post.

Could you make a list of every one of your shared sites like your twitter feed, Facebook page or linkedin profile?
Randolph@squidoo.com/juicing-my-way-to-a-leaner-body´s last blog post ..squidoo.com/juicing-my-way-to-a-leaner-body

John@Gold Bar Bullion June 19, 2012 at 2:15 am

I just think this post is amazing. I wish everyone could see what you have written here. I don’t understand why people don’t get it. Why do they think that we can improve on nature by messing with it? Humans are still creatures, we are supposed to eat natural foods. I’ve given up fried food, sugar, alcohol, meat and cows milk. I rarely get tired during the day any more.
Thanks, John – Gold Bullion Bars

David July 19, 2012 at 2:41 am

Juices are my all time fav :) I am always ready to learn new recipes with new ideas ! Thanks for sharing this :)

http://www.juicingforweightlosskit.com July 21, 2012 at 5:49 am

Thanks . I have been looking for something like this . Wonderful information I will be back for more info in regards to juicing for weight loss.

Adam July 25, 2012 at 3:27 am

Hi! Great article. I do juicing myself. That documentary you wrote about, Fat, Sick and Tired, I watched that on Netflix, along with “Dying to have Known” and others. Yes, juicing is a very good way to stay healthy, indeed. I began juicing about three months ago and I feel and look better. Thank you for your article.

Elaine Salt@Rental Property Management September 18, 2012 at 5:52 pm

Thank you so much Jacqui for sharing your recipe of organic smoothies. I love drinking fruit shakes but I haven’t tried vegetables smoothies/shakes. Nevertheless, I will try this at home. This will surely help me strengthen my body.

Nina Corales@Driving School September 23, 2012 at 7:17 am

Too timely because obesity cases is too rampant! I for myself will be the first to be benefited. Just so in time for my plan to unload unwanted fats. Fully detailed instructions as to the ingredients, impressed me the most. Some might be mistaken in buying them if you are not able to give the exact one. For instance the soya milk. If you have not mentioned the unsweetened one, many people would just buy what is only offered to most supermarkets. Thanks for sharing it.

Shayla@realestate September 23, 2012 at 1:50 pm

Great information. Lucky me I came across your blog by accident (stumbleupon).
I have saved as a favorite for later!
Shayla@realestate´s last blog post ..realestate

Mei Mayore@Canada Life Insurance Quotes September 27, 2012 at 2:58 am

Substituting your usual smoothies with these great green recipes will surely boost your immune system and keep your body fit and healthy. This drinks will not only refresh you but it would also help you release the toxins and unwanted fats in your body.
Mei Mayore@Canada Life Insurance Quotes´s last blog post ..COMPARE LIFE INSURANCE QUOTES

make momey November 13, 2012 at 5:01 pm

I started juicing myself this week! I decided to juice most of the day and have salad for dinner so I can eat with my husband and kids. Feeling good so far and it was Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead that triggered my change. this is good.