If you asked me, what’s the ONE THING that I’ve done over the past year or so that has led to the weight-loss + life-upgrading + 300%-pay-raise that I’ve enjoyed over the past year or so, (and somebody did, btw), I would say it’s this:
Every Monday morning, without fail, I take myself + my journals + my laptop + my magic pen (the silver one with the green ink) to my coffee-shop-office and I have a meeting with my inner CEO + any other metaphorical mentors I might call upon.
This is a scheduled meeting, y’all. Even my menfolk know that it’s set-in-stone immovable.
I dress up a little … because … well, truthfully, I kinda want everyone else to wonder who I am and what I do because I’m so mysterious + wealthy-looking.
The agenda is always the same:
- Order luscious coffee(duh… that’s why I go there). Actually, I usually don’t have order because the baristas know my name + what I drink + start making it before I’ve even chose a table. Actually, I always sit at the same table. You remember ‘Cheers’? Yea, like that. Without the beer.
- Check on intentions set from last weekOnce you’ve read all 5 steps, you’ll see where these come from, but the generally fall into three categories : Self, Family + Nest, and Empire-Building.
- What went right?
It’s ohsoveryimportant to celebrate your wins, supernova. As entrepreneurs, we can get horribly focused on what we’re struggling with … or what’s not selling/converting. And generally, as unfolding-goddesses, we can get woefully stuck on stories that don’t serve us. The squeaky wheel gets the grease, ya’ know?But you’re smart enough (and LOA savvy enough) to know that whatever you focus on, you get more of, so it’s hugely impactful to start your week off with a whoo-hoo moment or three.Make a note of what worked in your biz + life-in-general. What new practice did you devote yourself to? What money came in? More opt-ins? Great conversations on Facebook or Twitter? Did you shed a pound or two?This is no time to be modest, glorious one. Find the fabulous in each category. Write ’em out. With LOTS of exclamation marks. And feel free to smirk smugly to yourself. It makes people wonder all the more.
- What went sideways? (Ahem, there is no ‘wrong’.)Now I have absolutely no doubt you be able to list off these in a flash, but please be gentle with yourself, ok? I’ve found (through years of self-flagellation with what my coach-buddy Janette Dalgliesh calls my Beat-Up-Jacqui-stick) that it’s waaaay more helpful to simply list what didn’t go as hoped with a kind of emotion-less curiosity. Like you’d examine a dead houseplant. Look at the facts + what you did or didn’t do + what actually happened as a result. No going down the rabbit-hole-of-doom-and-recrimination, ok?
- Call In Your Metaphorical Mentoring Squad (known from hereon as MMS)Besides my Inner CEO (who knows exactly what my next empire-building step should be), my MMS has an endless roster of cast-members, all expert in their particular field and all immediately on call whenever required.(By the way, inspiration for this practice comes directly from the uber-awesome-and-magical Fabeku Fatumise … one of a bazillionty life-altering nuggets I’ve gleaned from him.)Depending on the question/situation/state-of-the-empire-and-headspace, I could have Oscar Wilde and Yoda and Bill (the other) Gates at my table. I’ve had Coco Chanel remind me that being different is the only way to be irreplaceable and Betsy Johnson insist that eccentricity and uber-creativity MUST go hand in hand. Marilyn Monroe is a regular, as is Hesta (goddess of the home) for obvious reasons and recently, Julie Andrews and Gershwin have been pushing me to sing again. (I’m like, really???)
The point is … we all have the answers already.
Psst. The Metaphorical Mentoring Squad is actually all your inner knowing,
sneakily disguised as people-you-admire.
Ask your question + relax into letting the answer come. Tap into your knowing. You’ll be ah-mazed at its depth.
- Intention-setting for the following week.Once you’ve analyzed + unfolded + discussed, decide what you would like to see happen before your next meeting. First set your intentions (I find my Core Desired Feelings very useful here) and then whittle down to specific targets + action steps.
- Move said targets/steps into diary-pages,fitting it round daily life. This is the pivotal part that dances WITH Life, rather than against it.
- Finish with a noting of What I’m Taking With Me (new knowledge/income/practices etc)
and What I’m Leaving Behind (non-serving-crappy stuff).This is a relatively new addition to my meeting and I’m finding it a powerful way to tie-a-bow on the previous week and move clean-slated into the next.
Now, obviously you’ll amend + tweak + drape this agenda to perfectly-fit your business + life + dreams, but this gives you a general idea of how to get the most out of your meeting.
The only thing I would say is non-negotiable is – GET OUT OF THE HOUSE!
There’s a disconnection from day-do-day energy that seems to boost focus + clarify intentions + amp up the big-visioneering. Pretend you’re one of those coffee-shop-millionaires. I always do.
Hope that helps y’all. It’s been transformational for me.
If you have any other questions, post them here in the comments, and if y’all are doing something similar, do share your tips + results. I’d love to hear them.
Of course, any passing-this-on-to-friends or social-media-sharings you feel like doing, would also be muchly appreciated.
Here’s to unfolding a life that’s exactly what you want!