As many of my Gentle Readers already know, this goddess is currently without an MLM company for the first time in … uh … about 23 years!
(and for the unaware, here’s the jaw-dropping, comment-inspiring, I-can’t-believe-she-did-that video that began this whole saga! )
You can go watch it ~ I’ll wait. Ok, on with the story …
As you can see, the reason for my sabbatical was twofold. Firstly, I had been so woefully unsuccessful at all six previous attempts, and secondly I was so sick and tired of seeing other goddesses emerging (aka ‘making money’) when I was stuck at Starbucks paying off my autoship.
So I decided to STOP.
Stop saying I can’t recruit.
Stop saying I can’t sell.
And … just … Breathe!
It was time to stop blaming plans, products, the economy, and everything else, because the only thing that really needed “fixing” was Me and my mindset.
With my new-found awareness and willingness to be taught (which up to this point was sadly lacking), I found mentors like Sandy Grason, Jodie Thompson and John Milton Fogg. I improved my online skills with Kimberly Castleberry and my vision with Richard Bliss Brooke.
(Note to the Newbie Network Marketer reading this ~ if you’re currently with an mlm but it’s just not working for you, please realize that it may not be the plan, the product or your upline’s fault. The problem, more often than not, is between your ears.)
But I never gave up on Network marketing itself. After all, why would you, when financial giants like Robert Kyosaki, Donald Trump have espoused this industry as the key to financial independence? Warren Buffet actually bought himself a network marketing company, for goodness sake! This goddess may be many things, but she ain’t no fool!
So the goddess has been surreptitiously scouting the marketplace, looking at who’s doing what and which new mlm is poised to take the world by storm.
But how to choose?
Just google ‘how to choose an mlm’ and you get about 1,680,000 hits ~ that’s a lot of opinions! And each one is refutable.
For example, the general advice is to find a financially stable company with at least a five year history, but my one-time sponsor, the great Jackie Ulmer, has found tremendous success with a company that was younger than that when she joined.
They tell you that you must ‘love the product’. I’ve loved every product I’ve distributed – duh! That was why I became a distributor! – but it didn’t help with the sales.
They tell you to scrutinize the compensation plan. Well, that’s all well and good if you actually Succeed at the biz in the first place, and while I agree that due diligence is mandatory, most companies reserve the right to change a comp plan whenever they choose.
So here’s what this goddess has concluded:-
- Go through the Compensation Plan with a fine-tooth comb. If you don’t know what red flags to look for, the good folk at Mentoring For Free can help you. Fellow goddesses Kimberly Castleberry, Tracey Keefer and Sabrina Coffin are all expert at dissecting a plan and telling you whether it’s worth building a business under. But do realize that
- Believe in the products. USE them so that you can be an authentic ambassador for their benefits, and retailing will provide you with a steady income to fund your marketing channels. But don’t think your enthusiasm alone will be enough to propel you forward.
But this goddess’s ultimate advice is this:-
There is no Magic Pill. At the end of the day, your success comes down to YOU – your skills, determination, and above all, your Mindset.
Invest in yourself before you invest in anything else.
- Read “Think and Grow Rich” – there isn’t a successful networker out there who hasn’t read it more than once.
- Find a mentor and community that celebrates your delicious unique-ness and gives you the tools and techniques to become your best self.
- Improve those blogging and online marketing skills, you’ll need them. This goddess followed the Profit Being You program – the title says it all and yes, if you join us, I’ll make a few dollars. But I’ll also hold your hand throughout your journey and shower you with goddess guidance, so we both score!
And the final word on this comes from the great George Washington Carver ~
“Education is the key to unlock the golden door of freedom.”
Couldn’t have said it better myself!
And, Gentle Reader, as always, this goddess would be utterly thrilled to hear your thoughts on this, and would be deliriously happy if you would share it with your friends.
And of course, do put your name in the box below so you don’t run the horrendous risk of missing some gem of goddess-ly wisdom while you’re off empire building or making tea.